GET UP AND GET ACTIVE!
One hour a day of physical activity is healthy for all ages.
Did You Know...
- Helps maintain a healthy weight and lowers the risk of obesity.
- Decreases stress and improves mood.
- Is important for healthy growth and development in children.
- Improves heart health and combats many health conditions including type 2 diabetes.
- Exercise promotes better sleep.
what you can do!
- Aim for 1 hour of daily physical activity.
- Keep physical activity fun: dance, play, or garden, always look for new ways to be active.
- Be physically active while enjoying family time. Less TV and more bike rides, soccer, swimming or walking the dog.
- Take gradual steps to achieve your goals. It doesn't need to be complicated. A daily walk can help you live a healthier life.
- Reduce your time spent sitting. The more hours you sit each day, the higher your risk of health concerns.
Fun Ways to Stay Fit!
- Play at the park
- Jump rope
- Play ball
- Ride a bike
- Go swimming
- Dance with your friends
- Play tag
- Join a sports team
- Be adventurous and take advantage of the beautiful water around us. You may want to try kayaking, paddle boarding, or even surfing!
- Try a new activity such as yoga, tai chi, or kick boxing.
- Discover and explore parks in Volusia County
- To explore Volusia County Parks on your smart device Download the Parks and Trails App
See and be Seen
- Wear bright, white, or light-colored clothing.
- Watch for cars pulling out of driveways and alleys.
- Walk facing traffic.
- At traffic lights, wait for the "WALK" signal to light up.
Look and Listen
- Always pay attention when being active in public places.
- Look all ways when crossing streets.
- Use your eyes and ears to watch and listen for moving vehicles.
- Use sidewalks and crosswalks whenever you can.